Sunday, August 10, 2008

"The 3 Mistake of my Life" by Chetan Bhagat

“There are two kind of writers -One; who want to make the unhappy people happy, Two; who want to make the happy people happier…I belong to latter genre”
--Chetan Bhagat



I don't frequently read the novels. In fact you can say I am not Novel freak but, I have read all the three books by Chetan Bhagat. I really like the way he writes. It’s so identifiable; it’s really lucid, simple and entertaining. I have high regards for Chetan Bhagat. Not because he writes great stuff, but because he writes for the masses.

His new novel- “The 3 mistakes of my life” is definitely not a trash as per my perceptions . It’s not a great book. Forget it; it’s not close to “Five Point Someone” but, it’s still a nice time pass read. The kind of books that you like to finish in one goes that’s what I did. It's just like bollywood movies. His third novel has clear glimpses of a bollywood drama. It has all the emotions, twists and turns.

Reading “The 3 mistakes of my life” has left me with mixed feelings. The story starts in a really unusual manner. The author paints himself into the picture by becoming a character in the story. He receives an e-mail from a fan stating rather baldly that he is committing suicide even as he types the mail. The author is shocked and goes into overdrive. Sitting in Singapore, he traces the mail to Ahmedabad and even finds the name of the sender. Our credulity is stretched as he jets off to India in search of the suicidal fan. This sets the stage for more incredible coincidences and logical jumps throughout the book.

It’s about a businessman and his friends, set in the backdrop of Gujarat during the times of earthquake and Godhra.The elements of Cricket, religion and business provide all the necessary drama.

The plot and story are just about okay. But at the end of it, you expect a little more and I felt the title was not appropriate. In my opinions “The 3 mistakes of my life” is no mistake by any chance and in fact I think first things first so it should NOT be mistake. Till the end of story there was curiosity that what are those three mistakes did by the business man Govind.The "Mistakes" that Govind commits, are not really "Mistakes". It can happen to anyone.

Chetan Bhagat says that "If by reading this, a Hindu neighbor thinks about the Muslim in a different way, I will be more than happy".
Yep, it's very true that in this novel it has described that how Ishan, Govind and Omi were ardently devoted to Ali to create him as a good cricketer and also fought back with people who wanted to kill a muslim chap Ali.

I would say, make no mistake, it’s a one time read, okay shokay but, definitely not as good as his earlier novels. Now it’s time for some “Not so good points”. The story which is developed so beautifully in the first half of the book slag a bit in the latter half. I felt that the end could have been scripted better. Also the book could have been titled something else because three mistakes were NOT really "Mistake".

I am not going to write the three mistakes as addressed in the novel as it will fall back the charm/interest to read novel nevertheless, I reiterate three mistakes were not really "Mistake".
Now the main question should you buy a copy for yourself?
I would say if you are a person of “never say die attitude”, have it in you to take everything in good stride, someone who can resurrect from ashes, someone who has dreams and has the will to realize them, then the book is definitely for you.

By the way I got it from my Library where people were claimed one after other to read this book which never ever happened for any other books in my office library. This sounds even book is not so great but it shows people like this novel and really I will be novel freak if Chetan Bhagat will keep writing novel :-).............!!!

So, don’t waste time, grab a copy and enjoy your weekend with it. I am sure you will relish the investment.

No comments: